Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Really what was I thinking?

I really have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to make Brody's birthday cake. It has been a long time since I have baked and truly decorated a cake. And I think the last time I did it my mom was there to help me out. Although I did call my mom often to make sure I was doing things correctly. So I was thinking of what I could do for a one year old that he really likes so Mike and I decided that the cake would be a duck. I found a 3-D duck cake pan and so it was final, a duck it was going to be. I also wanted this duck to be sitting on a pond. So I thought what could I use to make a pond? Fondant, I thought! Well I have never used fondant before so I thought I would try it. I got help from a friend in my ward, who taught me how to make it. So I tried it. It was not the best, ok really it was pretty bad. But I just made it work. And in all the pictures it does not look so bad. I had fun making it.
The fondant

Here are some pictures of me completing the cake.




I really did have fun putting this all together. And Mike did not think I could really do it, I showed him:)

7 comments:

The Lee Clan said...

The cake looks awesome...and I am sure that Brody loved it...and that Mike was impressed. Love ya!

Jen said...

Too cute! I love it, Elena! You are way more talented than you give yourself credit for.

Holly Emerson said...

That's pretty stinking cute. I like all the little ducks, too.

Daisy said...

Sooooooooooo talented! LOVE IT as I'm sure Mr 1 did too! Hey - you should email me - where is your new condo?

Karen said...

that looks awesome! Good for you for even trying this. I'm not as brave.

Jim, Becky, and Kids said...

That cake is way cute! Well done!

Jcjohns said...

So cute!!! and his crawling is adorable (in case you didn't know I am an old friend of Mike's)